Tell Me Questions.
1. Tell me how you would check the brake lights are working on this car?
Operate brake pedal, make use of reflections in windows, garage doors etc or ask someone to help.
2. Tell me how you would check tbe brakes are working before starting a journey?
Brakes should not feel spongy or slack. Brakes should be tested as you set off. Vehicle should not pull to one side.
3. Tell me where you would find the information for the recommended tyre pressure for this car and how should the tyre pressures be checked?
Manufacturers guide. Use a reliable pressure gauge, check and adjust pressures when the tyres are cold, don't forget the spare and to refit valve caps.
4. Tell me how you would check the tyres to ensure that they have sufficient tread depth and that their general condition is safe to use on the road?
No cuts or bulges. 1.6mm tread depth across 70% of the inner tread width, and all the way round the circumference.
5. Tell me how you make sure your head restraint is correctly adjusted so it provides the best protection in the event of a crash?
The head restraint should be adjusted so that the rigid part is at least as high as the eye or top of the ears, and as close to the head as is comfortable.
6. Tell me how you would check the headlights and tail lights of this vehicle?
Operate switch (tum on ignition if necessary. No need to exit vehicle, just explain.
7. Tell me how you would know if there is a problem with the anti lock braking system.
Warning light should illuminate if there is a fault with this system.