Show Me Questions.
1. Show me /explain how you would check that the power steering is working before starting a journey .
If the steering becomes heavy the system may not be working properly. With the engine off the steering is heavy. When engine is on steering becomes light.
2. Open the bonnet. Identify where you would check the engine oil and tell me how you check the engine has sufficient oil?
Identify dipstick and describe check oil level against the minimum/maximum markers.
3. Open the bonnet and identify where you would check the engine coolant level and tell me how you would check that the engine has the correct level?
Identify the minimax levels on the heater tank and describe how to top up to the correct level.
4. Show me how you would check the parking brake (handbrake) for excessive wear?
Demonstrate by applying the the handbrake that when it is fully applied it secures itself and the car, and is not at the end of the working travel.
5. Identify the windscreen washer reservoir and tell me how you would check its level
Identify reservoir and explain you would ensure there was enough water in the well.
6. Open bonnet.identify where the brake fluid reservoir is and tell me how you would check that you have a safe level of hydraulic fluid?
Identify the reservoir and explain how to check the level using the minimum marker.
7. Show me how you would check the horn is working (off road only)?
Check is carried out by pressing the horn.
8. Show me how you would check the direction indicators are working?
Apply the indicators or better still, the hazard warning lights, and walk round your vehicle,
9. Show me how you would set the demister controls to clear all the windows effectively, this should include both front and rear screens?
Set all relevant controls including fan. temperature, air direction and heated screen to clear windscreen and windows. Ignition (not engine) may be needed for the demonstration.
10. Show me how you would clean the windscreen using the windscreen washer and wipers.
Operate control to wash and wipe windscreen. Turn on ignition if necessary.
11. Show me how you would switch on the rear fog lights and explain when you would use it/them
Operate switch (turn on dipped headlights and ignition if necessary). Check warning light is on. Explain use.